Are you interested in a career that is in-demand? Check out our radiography field. A “Rad Tech” can play an important role on the patient care team. Find out how you can earn an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Health Science ‐ Medical Radiography in 18 months.
- Employment of radiologic technologists is expected to increase by about 17 percent from 2008 to 2018, faster than the average for all occupations. As the population grows and ages, demand for diagnostic imaging is projected to increase.1
- In addition to job growth, job openings are also expected to arise from the need to replace technologists who leave the occupation.1
1 Source: US Dept. of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition.
For more information about this program, please see the program description in the University Catalog. Radiography Program Description
What You Can Learn in Radiography
Through a blend of practical “hands on” clinical experience in hospitals and/or outpatient centers and on-campus classroom and lab sessions, radiography students explore:
- Radiation Biology and Protection for patient clients, employees and other healthcare personnel.
- Equipment Operation and Quality Control to include film/screen techniques, digital, and computer radiology.
- Image Production and Evaluation including technical factors selection, image processing, and criteria for image evaluation.
- Radiographic Procedures including positioning, anatomy, and technical factors adjustments
- Patient Care and Education including ethical and legal aspects, interpersonal communication, infection control, physical assistance and transfer, medical emergencies, and radiographic contrast media
Where You Can Go in Radiography
Radiography professionals are in demand* throughout the United States in a variety of healthcare settings and industries including:
- Hospitals & Medical Imaging Centers
- Outpatient Care Centers & Primary Care Clinics
- Government & Military
- Medical Research
- Mobile Imaging
- Radiology Sales & Service
- Education & Industry
At both the Newport News and Northern Virginia (Manassas), VA and the Greensboro, NC campuses: Graduates will receive an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Health Science – Medical Radiography and will be eligible to sit for the national certification examination with the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT).
At the Newport News, VA campus, the Medical Radiography program: is accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT).
Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT)
20 N. Wacker Drive, Suite 2850, Chicago, IL 60606-3182
Tel: (312) 704-5300, Fax: (312) 704-5304, e-mail: email@example.com
* Source: US Dept. of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition.
Upon completion of the program, the student will be clinically competent.
- Student will demonstrate the ability to properly operate imaging equipment.
- Student will determine proper exposure factors to obtain diagnostic quality radiographs.
- Student will demonstrate proper positioning skills.
- Student will demonstrate the proper use of radiation protection.
Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate effective communication skills.
- Student will demonstrate effective oral communication skills.
- Student will practice written communication skills.
Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate basic critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Student will manipulate exposure factors to accommodate for sub-optimal conditions to maintain appropriate radiographic quality.
- Student will modify standard positioning procedures to accommodate for sub-optimal or non-routine positions.
- Student will demonstrate the ability to effectively critique radiographic images.
Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate professional growth and development.
- Student will demonstrate knowledge and interest in continued professional growth and development.
- Student will demonstrate knowledge of professional ethics.
Upon completion of the program, the student will possess sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to meet the needs of the healthcare community.
- Student will successfully meet all requirements needed to sit for national licensure.
- Student will successfully meet all requirements of the program and be rewarded the degree of Associates of Applied Science in Medical Radiography.
The program will provide students with quality didactic and clinical education, and the community with quality and competent professionals of radiologic technology, through a curriculum that promotes the current practice, guidelines, and standards.
- Graduates of the program will successfully pass the ARRT national certification exam on the 1st attempt.
- Of those pursuing employment, graduates will be gainfully employed within 6 months post-graduation.
- Students will complete the program within 18 months.
- Students will be satisfied with their education.
- Employers will be satisfied with the graduate's performance.
Future Possible Careers For This Program
|51.0911||Radiologic Technology/Science - Radiographer|
|29-2034.00||Radiologic Technologists and Technicians|
Time frame: July 1, 2012 to June 30, 2013 Award Year 2012-13
How long will it take to complete this program?
The program is designed to take 19 months to complete.
91% of graduates from this program finish in this time.
The median time for graduates to complete this program is 11 months.
What percentage of students that graduated got jobs?
The following are the employment rates as reported to the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT) for the Jan 1, 2008 - Dec 31, 2012 period.
- Newport News, VA – 83%
What is the total cost of this program for me?
At ECPI University, programs are competitively priced and are designed to help you achieve your goals. Through our year-round schedule, you could earn your Associate's in 1.5 years. That can give you the edge over students at other colleges who might still be attending class.
|Program Cost/Tuition Chart|
|Books & Supplies||$1,725.00|
|Tuition and Fees||$43,000.00|
Foundation course requirements can result in additional costs and increase the time to graduation. Actual cost may vary depending on actual time to graduate, and subject to any necessary tuition increases. (for all programs and schools)
Time frame: July 1, 2012 to June 30, 2013 Award Year 2012-13.
What are my financing options to pay for the program?
In addition to any grant and scholarship aid for which they are eligible, graduates used loans to finance their education. The median debt for program graduates is:
|Federal Median Loans||$5,199.00|
|Private Median Loans||$0.00|
|Institutional Median Loans||$0.25|