Healthcare IT Overview
Are you interested in applying your information technology skills in one of the fastest growing industries... healthcare? If so, a career in Healthcare IT may be right for you. In 2.5 years, through our year-round schedule, you can earn a Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer and Information Science with a concentration in Healthcare Information Technology.
Did you know?
- Across all industries on average, overall employment of computer network, systems, and database administrators is projected to increase by 30% from 2008 to 2018, much faster than the average for all occupations.1
- In healthcare specifically, growth in these fields is expected to be rapid, as organizations look to increase efficiency and improve patient care through information systems and other technology.1
- At U.S. hospitals alone, it's projected that an additional 40,000 IT professionals (over 37% more) will be needed in the coming years. 2
1U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition
2Analysis of the HIMSS Analytics Database – November 10, 2008 by William Hersh, MD and Adam Wright, PhD: AMIA Annual Symposium 2008
For more information about this program and its outcomes, please see the program description in the University Catalog. Healthcare IT Program Description
What You Can Learn in Healthcare IT
ECPI's Healthcare IT graduates will be prepared to:
- Create and build networks in the Windows and CISCO environments.
- Design and implement security plans to keep patient health information safe and secure from prying eyes.
- Provide IT support to doctors and nurses.
Building upon ECPI's tradition of providing an interactive and "real world" hands-on education in technology, you'll focus on areas like:
- Healthcare technologies, hardware and software
- Computer networking
- Installation and management of security software
- Database design
- Oral and written communication skills
- Monitoring of network and security breaches
- Risk management and disaster recovery
- Installation and configuration of client and server operating systems, network services and security tools
- Health informatics and HIPAA compliance
- Electronic Medical Records (EMR)/Electronic Health Records (EHR)
- HW, SW, and network requirements—design, interpretation, and evaluation
Our Healthcare IT program field prepares graduates to sit for IT certification exams related to CompTIA, Cisco Systems, Microsoft, and HIPAA Compliance.
Where You Can Go In Healthcare IT
ECPI's Healthcare IT program area prepares graduates for various career fields including:
- Health Information Systems
- Server Management & Switching
- Healthcare Applications Support
- Technical Support and Help Desk
- Network Infrastructure Support Areas
- Network Security Technician
- Healthcare Information Technology Solutions Provider