Healthcare IT Overview
Are you interested in applying your information technology skills in one of the fastest growing industries... healthcare? If so, a career in Healthcare IT may be right for you. In 2.5 years, through our year-round schedule, you can earn a Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer and Information Science with a concentration in Healthcare Information Technology.
Did you know?
- Across all industries on average, overall employment of computer network, systems, and database administrators is projected to increase by 30% from 2008 to 2018, much faster than the average for all occupations.1
- In healthcare specifically, growth in these fields is expected to be rapid, as organizations look to increase efficiency and improve patient care through information systems and other technology.1
- At U.S. hospitals alone, it's projected that an additional 40,000 IT professionals (over 37% more) will be needed in the coming years. 2
1U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition
2Analysis of the HIMSS Analytics Database – November 10, 2008 by William Hersh, MD and Adam Wright, PhD: AMIA Annual Symposium 2008
For more information about this program and its outcomes, please see the program description in the University Catalog. Healthcare IT Program Description
What You Can Learn in Healthcare IT
ECPI's Healthcare IT graduates will be prepared to:
- Create and build networks in the Windows and CISCO environments.
- Design and implement security plans to keep patient health information safe and secure from prying eyes.
- Provide IT support to doctors and nurses.
Building upon ECPI's tradition of providing an interactive and "real world" hands-on education in technology, you'll focus on areas like:
- Healthcare technologies, hardware and software
- Computer networking
- Installation and management of security software
- Database design
- Oral and written communication skills
- Monitoring of network and security breaches
- Risk management and disaster recovery
- Installation and configuration of client and server operating systems, network services and security tools
- Health informatics and HIPAA compliance
- Electronic Medical Records (EMR)/Electronic Health Records (EHR)
- HW, SW, and network requirements—design, interpretation, and evaluation
Our Healthcare IT program field prepares graduates to sit for IT certification exams related to CompTIA, Cisco Systems, Microsoft, and HIPAA Compliance.
Where You Can Go In Healthcare IT
ECPI's Healthcare IT program area prepares graduates for various career fields including:
- Health Information Systems
- Server Management & Switching
- Healthcare Applications Support
- Technical Support and Help Desk
- Network Infrastructure Support Areas
- Network Security Technician
- Healthcare Information Technology Solutions Provider
Future Possible Careers for This Program
|11.101||Computer and Information Systems Security/Information Assurance|
|11-3021.00||Computer and Information Systems Managers|
|15-1121.01||Informatics Nurse Specialists Bright Outlook|
|15-1141.00||Database Administrators Bright Outlook|
|15-1142.00||Network and Computer Systems Administrators Bright Outlook|
|15-1122.00||Information Security Analysts|
|15-1152.00||Computer Network Support Specialists Bright Outlook|
|15-1143.00||Computer Network Architects|
Time frame: July 1, 2012 to June 30, 2013 Award Year 2012-13
How long will it take to complete this program?
The program is designed to take 30 months to complete.
78% of graduates from this program finish in this time.
The median time for graduates to complete this program is 23 months.
What is the total cost of this program for me?
At ECPI University, programs are competitively priced and are designed to help you achieve your goals. Through our year-round schedule, you could earn your Bachelor's degree in 2.5 years. That can give you the edge over students at other colleges who might still be attending class.
|Program Cost/Tuition Chart|
|Books & Supplies||$2,760.00|
|Tuition and Fees||$56,910.00|
Foundation course requirements can result in additional costs and increase the time to graduation. Actual cost may vary depending on actual time to graduate, and subject to any necessary tuition increases. (for all programs and schools)
Time frame: July 1, 2012 to June 30, 2013 Award Year 2012-13.
What are my financing options to pay for the program?
In addition to any grant and scholarship aid for which they are eligible, graduates used loans to finance their education. The median debt for program graduates is:
|Federal Median Loans||$19,020.90|
|Private Median Loans||$0.00|
|Institutional Median Loans||$0.08|