Network Security Overview
Are you the type of person who likes challenge and who wants to help an organization stay ahead of anyone or anything that might harm its computer systems? A career in Cyber Security and Network Security might be right for you. It's a serious business. It's not a game!
In 2.5 years, through our year-round schedule, you can earn a Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer and Information Science with a concentration in Network Security.
Today's networks require technicians and specialists with hands-on skills in a variety of network management and support roles. This program is designed to provide both entry and advanced level of knowledge to:
- Administer, manage, or troubleshoot hardware, software, or services for single, mixed and multi-user environments.
- Use cyber security measures to protect data and manage personnel conduct in relation to safeguarding data.
An Associate Degree program is also available which prepares the graduate for entry-level employment in the Network Security field.
For more information about this program, please see the program description in the University Catalog. Network Security Program Description
What You Can Learn in Network Security
Students learn how to create and build networks in the Windows, CISCO, and UNIX environments...and both design and implement network security plans to keep hackers at bay and the network secure.
Building upon ECPI's tradition of providing an interactive and "real world" hands-on education in technology, you'll:
- Maintain network hardware and software.
- Analyze problems and monitor network to ensure its availability to system users.
- Identify customer needs and use that information to design, interpret, and evaluate network requirements
- Plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures.
- Educate users regarding computer security.
- Install security software.
- Monitor network for security breaches.
This program focuses on many skill areas including:
- Ethical and Professional Practices
- Logic and Decision Processes; Troubleshooting; Problem Resolution
- Risk Management and Disaster Recovery
- Oral and Written Communication Skills
- Customer Service and System Self-Assessment
- Installation and Configuration of Client and Server Operating Systems, Network Services, and Security Tools
- Protection of Sensitive Information by Preventing, Detecting, and Responding to Cyber Security Attacks
As a "value added" benefit, this program prepares graduates to sit for IT certification exams related to CompTIA, Cisco Systems, and Microsoft.
Where You Can Go In Network Security
Employment of network and computer systems administrators is expected to increase by 23 percent nationally from 2008 to 2018, much faster than the average for all occupations. As cyber attacks become more sophisticated, demand will increase for workers with security skills.1 Network Security professionals are employed in a wide range of positions.2Network Security Management professionals are employed in a wide range of positions.
- Network Administration
- Technical Support and Help Desks
- Network Infrastructure Support Areas in Routing, Server Management, and Switching
- Network Security Analyst
- Network Applications Supervision/Management
- Information Technology Solutions Providers
- Network Implementation Team
1 Source: U.S. Dept. of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-2011 Edition.
2 As a condition of employment in any security position, a prospective employee may be required to pass a full background investigation for the purpose of obtaining a security clearance.
Future Possible Careers for This Program
|11.1003||Computer and Information Systems Security/Information Assurance|
|15-1141.00||Database Administrators Bright Outlook|
|15-1142.00||Network and Computer Systems Administrators Bright Outlook|
|15-1122.00||Information Security Analysts|
|15-1152.00||Computer Network Support Specialists Bright Outlook|
|15-1143.00||Computer Network Architects|
Time frame: July 1, 2012 to June 30, 2013 Award Year 2012-13
How long will it take to complete this program?
The program is designed to take 31 months to complete.
72% of graduates from this program finish in this time.
The median time for graduates to complete this program is 28 months.
What is the total cost of this program for me?
At ECPI University, programs are competitively priced and are designed to help you achieve your goals. Through our year-round schedule, you could earn your Bachelor's degree in 2.5 years. That can give you the edge over students at other colleges who might still be attending class.
|Program Cost/Tuition Chart|
|Books & Supplies||$2,760.00|
|Tuition and Fees||$56,910.00|
Foundation course requirements can result in additional costs and increase the time to graduation. Actual cost may vary depending on actual time to graduate, and subject to any necessary tuition increases. (for all programs and schools)
Time frame: July 1, 2012 to June 30, 2013 Award Year 2012-13.
What are my financing options to pay for the program?
In addition to any grant and scholarship aid for which they are eligible, graduates used loans to finance their education. The median debt for program graduates is:
|Federal Median Loans||$23,341.50|
|Private Median Loans||$0.00|
|Institutional Median Loans||$0.35|