Criminal Justice Overview
If you'd like a career which lets you blend your interest in crime, security, investigation, law enforcement, and technology ... and if you have a desire to improve community safety, then our Criminal Justice program could be the right choice for you. Criminal Justice is a growing field in today's society. Our program prepares graduates for opportunities in:
- Homeland Security
- Border Protection
- Law Enforcement Agencies from the local to federal levels
- Fraud Investigation
- Public and Private Security (including Workplace Security and Surveillance)
The program focuses on providing the graduate the ability to:
- Understand the policies and procedures of law enforcement.
- Understand the legal system and court structure.
- Gain knowledge of security and surveillance principles.
- Work with technology to investigate, solve, track, and deter crime.
In 2.5 years, you can earn a Bachelor of Science Degree in Criminal Justice. An Associate Degree program is also available which prepares the graduate for entry level employment in the Criminal Justice field.
For more information about this program and its outcomes, please see the program description in the University Catalog. Criminal Justice Program Description
What You Can Learn in Criminal JusticeThe Criminal Justice program focuses on real world application of criminological principles. Criminal Justice professionals are the front line advocates of Constitutional Rights and community and national safety. These individuals also assist with the investigation, prosecution and sentencing of perpetrators of offenses committed in both the tangible and cyber realm.
The curriculum provides graduates with knowledge and skills in:
- Law Enforcement, Security, Surveillance, and Investigations
- Juvenile Justice
- Courtroom Procedures
- Anti-Terrorism and Homeland Security Functions
Where You Can Go in Criminal Justice
Criminal Justice graduates are employed in a variety of areas such as:
- Police Officer
- State Trooper
- Community Corrections
- Federal Officer / Investigative Positions Including those related to FBI, CIA, DEA, and TSA (Federal Air Marshall and Transportation Security Officer)
- Insurance Investigation
- Border Patrol
- U.S. Customs
- Private Security
- Juvenile Justice
- Clerk of Court or Law Firms
- Park Ranger