Software Development Online Degree Program Overview
The ever-increasing role of computers in society will continue to require skilled developers to design, develop, and implement software-based solutions and products for businesses and consumers. Software applications systems connect you to a computer, tablet, smartphone, or mobile device. Each year, enterprising developers and companies create an array of cloud, mobile, and web-based offerings designed to make business more effective and our lives more enjoyable. ECPI University's Computer and Information Sciences degree with a concentration in Software Development is a skills-based program utilizing the latest in technology across platforms using virtualization. ECPI's programs encourage students to obtain industry certifications and internships for real-world experience that enhances graduate opportunities.
If this sounds like the career you've been looking for, you could earn an Associate of Science Degree in Computer and Information Science with a concentration in Software Development in as little as 1.5 years.
Software Development Online Degree Possible Career Track
Software Development graduates are prepared for entry-level positions in a wide spectrum of industries, including:
- Social Media
- Advanced Manufacturing
Job titles for these positions include:
- Web programmer
- Software Tester
Software Development Online Degree Outcomes
In addition to the outcomes listed below, students in the Software Development concentration learn how to create web pages, write software applications, use and maintain databases, and understand and utilize computer networks.
Computer and Information Science Outcomes:
- Use processes, tools, and technologies common to the profession
- Work as a member of a technical team
- Apply written, oral, and graphical communication in both technical and non-technical environments
- Identify and use appropriate technical literature
- Engage in continuous professional development through user groups, associations, conferences, readings, research, and other channels.
- Apply ethical best practices in the maintenance and security of information and systems
- Use cloud computing tools
Software Development Outcomes:
- Develop software solutions from plans and designs
- Test and deploy software solutions
- Administer and maintain software solutions
Software Development Online Degree Curriculum
|Course ID||Course Name||Credits|
|CIS123||CIS123 Introduction to Python Scripting||3.00|
|CIS126||CIS126 Introduction to Programming||3.00|
|CIS142||CIS142 Introduction to Cloud Solutions||3.00|
|CIS150||CIS150 Introduction to Networking||3.00|
|CIS206||CIS206 Linux Administration||3.00|
|CIS212||CIS212 Principles of Cybersecurity||3.00|
|BUS121||BUS121 Introduction to Business||3.00|
|CIS290||CIS290 Associate’s Externship-CIS||3.00|
*CIS290, CIS291, CIS292, CIS293, and CIS294 do not transfer to the BS program. **A combination of the following CIS externship courses may be substituted in lieu of CIS290, provided that they total 3 credits: CIS291, CIS292, CIS293, and CIS294BUS121 or CIS290, CIS228 or CIS123
|Course ID||Course Name||Credits|
|CIS121||CIS121 Logic and Design||3.00|
|CIS126L||CIS126L Introduction to Programming Lab||1.00|
|CIS223||CIS223 Introduction to Databases||3.00|
|CIS224||CIS224 Server-Side Scripting with PHP||3.00|
|CIS226||CIS226 Introduction to Object Oriented Programming||3.00|
|CIS250||CIS250 Structured Query Language||3.00|
|CIS282||CIS282 Web Interface Design||3.00|
|CIS214||CIS214 Object-Oriented Programming Using C#||3.00|
|CIS218||CIS218 Object-Oriented Programming Using JAVA||3.00|
* Students will be scheduled either CIS214 Object Oriented Programming Using C#, CIS215 Object Oriented Programming Using C++ , or CIS218 Object Oriented Programming Using Java
Visit the ECPI University Catalog for the most current program information.
*For allowable substitutions of arts and sciences courses, see the Arts & Sciences Department section in the ECPI University Course Catalog.