New Hybrid Schedule
Available At the Virginia Beach Location!
Healthcare Administration Overview
Want to be a part of a growing industry and provide critical support to people who save lives every day? A career in healthcare administration may be what you’ve been looking for. According to U.S. Department of Labor projections, employment of medical and health services managers is expected to grow by 22 percent from 2010 to 2020, faster than the average for all occupations.*
The government projects that as the large baby-boom population ages and people remain active later in life, the healthcare industry as a whole will see an increase in the demand for medical services. Managers will be needed to organize and manage medical information and healthcare staffs in all areas of the industry.*
At ECPI University’s School of Health Science, Medical Careers Institute (MCI), you can earn your Bachelor of Science Degree in Health Science with a concentration in Healthcare Administration in just 2.5 years through MCI’s year-round program.
*Data Source: U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook - 2012-13 Edition
- Program Description
Medical Career Institute’s course of study provides students with a strong foundation in the fundamental areas of healthcare administration including:
- Managed Care
- Community Health
- Healthcare Research
- Long-term Care Administration
- Global Health
- Healthcare Delivery Systems
MCI’s industry-driven curriculum is augmented with solid coursework involving the liberal arts and sciences which prepares graduates to enter the healthcare administration field confident in their ability to serve as business advocates in the global healthcare workplace.
- Possible Career Track
Medical and Healthcare Administration executives coordinate, plan, direct and supervise the delivery of healthcare. These professionals are either specialists in charge of a clinical department or generalists who manage an entire facility or organization.
The healthcare industry is looking for well-educated caring professionals to oversee:
- Long-term Care Centers
- Community Health and Physician Office Practices
- Hospital Departments
- Medical Units
- Outpatient Centers
58 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits ACC160 Principles of Accounting I 3 ACC161 Principles of Accounting II 3 BUS121 Introduction to Business 3 BUS303 Organizational Leadership and Management 3 BUS328 Business Process Improvement 3 BUS328L Business Process Improvement LAB 1 HCA200 Healthcare Marketing 3 HCA300 Healthcare Administration and Regulation 3 HCA305 Legal Aspects of Healthcare Administration 3 HCA310 Healthcare Administration Ethics 3 HCA330 Long-Term Care Across the Continuum 3 HCA400 Health Information Systems 3 HCA410 Human Resource Management in Healthcare 3 HCA420 Healthcare Delivery Systems 3 HCA422 Managing Crisis in Community Settings 3 HCA430 Financial Management & Managed Care in Healthcare Organizations 3 HCA440 Healthcare Research and Evidence-Based Practice 3 HCA470 Global Healthcare 3 HCA490 Capstone in Healthcare Administration 3 LTC300 Long Term Care Environment 3
Arts and Sciences
43 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits BIO250 Epidemiology 3 BIO250L Epidemiology LAB 1 CAP480 Arts and Sciences Capstone 3 COM115 Principles of Communication 3 ECO201 Macroeconomics 3 ECO202 Microeconomics 3 ENG110 College Composition 3 ENG120 Advanced Composition 3 HLT101 Nutrition 3 HUM115 Reasoning & Analysis 3 HUM205 Culture and Diversity 3 MTH131 College Algebra 3 MTH140 Statistics 3 PSY105 Introduction to Psychology 3 SOC100 Introduction to Sociology 3
Self Integration and Computer Literacy
7 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits COR191 Career Orientation 1 FOR110 Essentials for Success 3 CIS115 Computer Applications 3
Acute Care Track
13 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits BUS472 Applied Project Management 3 BUS472L Applied Project Management LAB 1 HCA320 Healthcare Administration Externship I 3 HCA450 Public Health 3 HCA480 Healthcare Administration Externship II 3
Long Term Care Track
13 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits LTC310 Domains of Care 2 LTC320 Long Term Care Administration Externship I 4 LTC330 Domains of Care II 2 LTC480 Long Term Care Externship II 4 LTC482 Review for National Exam 1
Healthcare Administration students first learn basic business and accounting skills as they apply to the healthcare industry. They then learn about health information systems, managed care systems, marketing a healthcare business, public health issues, and legal and ethical issues in healthcare. The acute care track prepares entry level managers for work in hospitals, clinics, and emergency centers. The long term care track prepares students for careers as long term care administrators in skilled nursing facilities, nursing homes, and assisted living.
Upon completion of this program, graduates are able to:
- Critically analyze research findings for evidence-based medicine and management practices by applying core healthcare administration and fundamental knowledge of the arts and sciences for decision-making.
- Distinguish the legal and ethical standards of practice for healthcare administrators in a variety of healthcare settings and situations.
- Explain the complex relationships between healthcare payers, institutions, and customers within the state, nation, and foreign countries from economic and financial perspectives.
- Apply principles of healthcare administration within the continuum of care.
- Compare and contrast various U.S. healthcare delivery systems nationally and globally.
- Understand and utilize epidemiologic assessments, economic trends, population changes, and healthcare trends.
- Identify and recognize current and future health information technology, biotechnology, and other technological implications in the delivery of healthcare services.
- Apply skills, values, and knowledge from the coursework to present a complex business proposal for a healthcare unit.
- Incorporate a financial plan, human resources planning, a marketing strategy, basic and advanced technology needs, reimbursement, and applicability to the community.
Important information about the educational debt, earnings, and completion rates of students who attended this program can be found by clicking here.
- Program Guide
- Download Program Guide (116.14 KB)