The Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering Technology programs at the Virginia Beach and Newport News, VA campuses and Online are accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org.
Mechatronics (ESET) Online Degree Program Overview
Online ESET graduates function in multidisciplinary teams to design, install, maintain, and repair systems, components, or processes meeting specific needs for engineering applications. They serve as a link between engineers and technicians in the workplace where they play a key role from the conception of electronic systems until their implementation. They are involved in the development, testing, production, and quality assurance of electronic and mechanical components and/or systems. Additionally, if you'd like to learn about the manufacturing gap creating career opportunities in Mechatronics view our infographic, here.
The curriculum provides Online ESET graduates with the education and foundation needed for employment in a variety of industries in the private and public sector, including the computer industry, homeland security, automation and manufacturing, and education.
Mechatronics concentration graduates are employed in a wide spectrum of areas in positions such as engineering consultant, electrical engineering or computer engineering technologist, product engineer, or project manager.
Using advanced simulation software, our online faculty creates a learning environment that closely replicates what it’s like in an actual lab. You have the opportunity to learn how to develop and troubleshoot robots, program controllers, and integrate systems. ECPI University Online also offers the opportunity to finish school much faster. Through our year-round, accelerated schedule, you could earn our online Bachelor of Science Degree in Electronic Systems Engineering Technology with a concentration in Mechatronics in as little as 2.5 years.
Mechatronics (ESET) Online Degree Curriculum
|Course ID||Course Name||Credits|
|EET110||EET110 Electric Circuits I||3.00|
|ESET111||ESET111 Electric Circuits II||3.00|
|ESET111L||ESET111L Electric Circuits LAB||1.00|
|EET310||EET310 Circuit Analysis||3.00|
|EET120||EET120 Semiconductor Devices||3.00|
|EET121||EET121 Electronic Systems Applications||3.00|
|EET220||EET220 Industrial Applications||3.00|
|EET221L||EET221L Instrumentation and Measurement LAB||1.00|
|EET130||EET130 Digital Systems I||3.00|
|EET230||EET230 Digital Systems II||3.00|
|EET230L||EET230L Digital Systems LAB||1.00|
|CIS150||CIS150 Introduction to Networking||3.00|
|CIS126||CIS126 Introduction to Programming||3.00|
|EET207||EET207 Applied Engineering Programming||3.00|
|EET231||EET231 Introduction to Programmable Logic Controllers||3.00|
|EET231L||EET231L Introduction to Programmable Logic Controllers LAB||1.00|
|EET331||EET331 Programmable Controllers and Robotics||3.00|
|EET331L||EET331L Programmable Controllers and Robotics LAB||1.00|
|MET400||MET400 Senior Project||3.00|
|MET400L||MET400L Senior Project LAB||1.00|
|EET390||EET390 Motor Drives||3.00|
|EET390L||EET390L Motor Drives LAB||1.00|
|EET430L||EET430L Microcontrollers LAB||1.00|
|Course ID||Course Name||Credits|
|CAP480||CAP480 Arts and Sciences Capstone||3.00|
|COM115||COM115 Principles of Communication||3.00|
|ENG110||ENG110 College Composition||3.00|
|ENG120||ENG120 Advanced Composition||3.00|
|HUM205||HUM205 Culture and Diversity: Exploring the Humanities||3.00|
|MTH131||MTH131 College Algebra||3.00|
|MTH220||MTH220 Applied Calculus I||3.00|
|MTH320||MTH320 Applied Calculus II||3.00|
|PHY120L||PHY120L Physics LAB||1.00|
|PSY105||PSY105 Introduction to Psychology||3.00|
|PSY220||PSY220 Positive Psychology||3.00|
*For allowable substitutions of arts and sciences courses, see the Arts and Sciences Department page
Choose two courses from ECO201, ECO202, PSY105, PSY220
|Course ID||Course Name||Credits|
|EET251||EET251 Computer Configuration II||3.00|
|EET251L||EET251L Computer Configuration II LAB||1.00|
|EET320||EET320 Semiconductor Processing||3.00|
|EET380||EET380 Digital Communications I||3.00|
|ESET280||ESET280 Introduction to Communications Systems||3.00|
|EET252||EET252 Data Communications and Networking||3.00|
|CIS225||CIS225 Network Protocols and Services||3.00|
|Course ID||Course Name||Credits|
|BUS102||BUS102 Fundamentals of Customer Service||3.00|
|BUS121||BUS121 Introduction to Business||3.00|
|BUS242||BUS242 Technology Optimization||3.00|
|BUS328||BUS328 Business Process Improvement||3.00|
|BUS328L||BUS328L Business Process Improvement LAB||1.00|
|PMT472||PMT472 Applied Project Management||3.00|
|PMT472L||PMT472L Applied Project Management LAB||1.00|
|CIS106||CIS106 Introduction to Operating Systems||3.00|
|CIS115||CIS115 Computer Applications||3.00|
|CIS121||CIS121 Logic and Design||3.00|
|CIS123||CIS123 Introduction to Python Scripting||3.00|
|CIS126L||CIS126L Introduction to Programming Lab||1.00|
|CIS202||CIS202 Introduction to Routing and Switching||3.00|
|CIS204||CIS204 Intermediate Routing and Switching||3.00|
|CIS206||CIS206 Linux Administration||3.00|
|CIS207L||CIS207L Network Routing and Switching LAB||1.00|
|CIS214||CIS214 Object-Oriented Programming Using C#||3.00|
|CIS215||CIS215 Object Oriented Programming Using C++||3.00|
|CIS218||CIS218 Object-Oriented Programming Using JAVA||3.00|
|CIS226||CIS226 Introduction to Object Oriented Programming||3.00|
|CIS228||CIS228 Service Desk Fundamentals||3.00|
|CIS245||CIS245 Windows Client and Server||3.00|
|CIS245L||CIS245L Windows Client and Server LAB||1.00|
|CIS282||CIS282 Web Interface Design||3.00|
|EET272||EET272 Fiber Optics Communication||3.00|
|EET272L||EET272L Fiber Optics Communication LAB||1.00|
|EET301||EET301 Special Topics in Engineering Technology||3.00|
|EET302||EET302 Externship-EET Sr. III||3.00|
|EET306||EET306 Externship-EET Sr. I-a||1.00|
|EET307||EET307 Externship-EET Sr. I-b||1.00|
|EET308||EET308 Externship-EET Sr. I-c||1.00|
|EET309||EET309 Externship-EET Sr. II||2.00|
|EET350||EET350 Overview of Electronic Security Devices||3.00|
|EET352||EET352 Engineering Economics||3.00|
|MET114||MET114 Introduction to Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)||3.00|
|MET213||MET213 Advanced 3-D Modeling||3.00|
|MET221||MET221 Manufacturing Processes||3.00|
|MET313||MET313 Applied Strength of Materials||3.00|
|MET230L||MET230L Hydraulics & Pneumatics Systems Lab||1.00|
|MET330||MET330 Applied Fluid Mechanics||3.00|
|MET330L||MET330L Applied Fluid Mechanics LAB||1.00|
Visit the ECPI University Catalog for the most current program information.
Mechatronics (ESET) Online Degree Program Description
The Online ESET - Mechatronics concentration - program focuses on real-world applications of engineering principles. The program provides a career pathway for individuals who like working with their hands, putting things together, and combining different systems to come up with a solution for a real-world problem. The Online Electronic Systems and Mechatronics concentrations offer a broad exposure to analog and digital electronics, engineering programming, instrumentation and measurement systems, as well as embedded and drive systems. Learn by doing while grasping a firm theoretical foundation in electronics. Put to practice your acquired knowledge through a culminating capstone experience.
With the new emerging technologies, a skilled workforce in the electronic systems field has been and will continue to be important for the design and implementation of new innovative solutions and products.
Mechatronics (ESET) Online Degree Possible Career Track
Online Mechatronics graduates are typically employed in areas such as:
- Engineering Consultant
- Electrical/Computer Engineering Technologist
- Industrial Engineer
- Product Engineer
- Project Manager
- Project Coordinator
- Industrial Technician
- Field Service Technician
- Computer Engineering Technician
- Electronic Engineering Technician
Mechatronics (ESET) Online Degree Outcomes
Graduates of the B.S. Electronic Systems Engineering Technology program are expected to attain the following objectives within a few years of graduation:
- Apply acquired technical and analytical skills as it relates to their professional positions in electrical, electronic, and related industries.
- Apply relative mathematical, science, and engineering methods to solve technical problems.
- Analyze and implement complex systems including both hardware and software.
- Pursue lifelong learning and successful professional careers.
- Perform as effective team members through adequate oral and written communication skills.
- Relate and exercise an educated judgment in regards to their professional and ethical responsibilities.
Students in the Online B.S. Electronics Engineering Technology program learn to design and build electronic systems and learn about analog and digital electronics. They are able to apply the engineering and mathematical principles that they learn in order to implement and maintain electronic systems, such as computers and controllers.
Upon completion of the Online Bachelor of Science in Electronics Engineering Technology, graduates are ecpected to be able to:
- An ability to select and apply the knowledge, techniques, skills, and modern tools of the discipline to broadly-defined engineering technology activities.
- An ability to select and apply a knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering and technology to engineering technology problems that require the application of principles and applied procedures or methodologies.
- An ability to conduct standard tests and measurements; to conduct, analyze, and interpret experiments; and to apply experimental results to improve processes.
- An ability to design systems, components, or processes for broadly-defined engineering technology problems appropriate to program educational objectives.
- An ability to function effectively as a member or leader on a technical team
- An ability to identify, analyze, and solve broadly defined engineering technology problems.
- An ability to apply written, oral, and graphical communication in both technical and non-technical environments; and an ability to identify and use appropriate technical literature.
- An understanding of the need for an ability to engage in self-directed continuing professional development.
- An understanding of and a commitment to address professional and ethical responsibilities including a respect for diversity.
- A knowledge of the impact of engineering technology solutions in a societal and global context.
- A commitment to quality, timeliness, and continuous improvement.
- Create 2D and 3D designs for engineering parts using CAD software
- Implement hydraulic and pneumatic systems
- Analyze forces and their effects on systems