Data Analytics Overview
Data analytics is the method of examining large collections of data in order to make educated recommendations and uncover opportunities to improve business functions, often with the help of various analytics tools and software. When you’re dealing with a plethora of data, it can seem like an overwhelming task. The goal of data analytics is to simplify the process and explore efficient ways to organize and consolidate data to enhance an organization and give them a competitive edge.
A practice that emphasizes strong analytical and problem-solving skills, your job will be to maximize efficiency and provide data driven recommendations to improve an organization while applying technical knowledge of data structures and analytical tools. Do you consider yourself creative and analytical? Do you like to explore data and solve problems? If yes, a major in software development in the data analytics track could be a good fit for you.
During the course of this program, you could gain the necessary skills vital to:
- Enhance the quality of an organization and maximize efficiency.
- Apply strategy and analysis to drive real change.
- Research data mining techniques.
- Recommend new programs and software.
- Boost efficiency and profitability by applying knowledge of big data as it relates to the organization’s goals.
Through ECPI’s year-round schedule, you could earn a Bachelor of Science in Computer and Information Science with a Major in Software Development in the Data Analytics track in as little as 2.5 years.
28 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits BUS121 Introduction to Business 3 BUS472 Applied Project Management 3 BUS472L Applied Project Management Lab 1 CIS126 Introduction to Programming 3 CIS142 Introduction to Cloud Solutions 3 CIS150 Introduction to Networking 3 CIS206 Linux Administration 3 CIS212 Principles of Cybersecurity 3 CIS223 Introduction to Databases 3 ONE OF THESE TWO COURSES: CIS123 Introduction to Scripting 3 CIS228 Service Desk Fundamentals 3
Arts and Sciences*
31 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits CAP480 Arts and Sciences Capstone 3 COM115 Principles of Communication 3 ENG110 College Composition 3 ENG120 Advanced Composition 3 HUM205 Culture and Diversity 3 MTH131 College Algebra 3 MTH140 Statistics 3 PSY105 Introduction to Psychology 3 PSY220 Positive Psychology 3 ONE LECTURE COURSE AND CORRESPONDING LAB FROM THE FOLLOWING: PHY120 Physics 3 PHY120L Physics Lab 1 BIO122 Environmental Biology 3 BIO122L Environmental Biology Lab 1
9 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits CIS106 Introduction to Operating Systems 3 CIS115 Computer Applications 3 COR090 Career Orientation Seminar 0 FOR110 Essentials for Success 3
Software Development Major Required Courses
38 semester credit hours
Data Analytics Track
14 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits CIS123 Introduction to Scripting 3 CIS326 Introduction to Data Analytics 3 CIS376 Data Analytics Tools 3 CIS469 Data Analytics Methods and Modeling 3 CIS469L Data Analytics Methods and Modeling LAB 1 CIS473L Advanced Data Analytics LAB 1
- Program Description
ECPI University’s new Software Development major with a Data Analytics track could help you hone your analytic, business, computer science and design skills, preparing you for a fulfilling career where you could really make a difference. This degree program teaches the fundamental workings of development, strategic research and data analysis. The objective of this program is to provide students with the groundwork of data analytics methods and modeling to excel in a professional environment.
Students will have the opportunity to build a strong foundation in areas of data analytics including:
- Data analytics methods and modeling
- Data mining and pattern recognition
- Advanced data analytics
- Tools and software
- Possible Career Track
Organizations rely heavily on talented data analysts to help their businesses excel. A knowledgeable data analyst will work to find ways to improve core processes, better target customers, avoid system failures and identify key industry opportunities.
Sought after careers in the field of software development and data analytics include:
- Game Developer
- Mobile App Developer
- Database Administrator
- Data Analyst
- Computer Hardware Engineer
- Software Developer
- Quantitative Analyst
- Data Scientist
- Business Analyst
- Computer Programmer
Students in the B.S. in Computer & Information Science program develop planning, design, implementation, and support skills in operating systems, networking, software programs, and security. Students develop additional focused skills based on which major the student pursues. Students also learn principles of excellent customer service in order to assist clients with technical issues.
Upon successful completion of the Bachelor of Science in Computer & Information Science, graduates are able to:
- Design, implement, and evaluate computer-based solutions that incorporate the appropriate computing requirements identified through the analysis of specific organizational or computing problems
- Function effectively on teams to establish goals, plan tasks, meet deadlines, manage risk, and produce deliverables
- Apply written, oral, and graphical communication in both technical and non-technical environments
- Evaluate and use appropriate technical literature
- Engage in continuous professional development through user groups, associations, conferences, readings, research, and other channels
- Develop and apply ethical and legal best practices in the maintenance and security of information and systems
- Develop cloud computing tools
In addition to the BS CIS Program Outcomes, students in the Software Development Major learn how to manage projects, create interesting web pages, design and write a variety of programs, use and maintain databases, and understand and utilize computer networks.
Upon completion of the Software Development major - Data Analytics Track, graduates are able to:
- Design and develop security software solutions using object-oriented principles
- Develop integrated systems solutions using software, web, and mobile applications to access organizational databases
- Plan secure software solutions with customers
- Program Guide
- Download Program Guide (443.72 KB)