Medical Assisting Overview
Do you envision yourself working in the medical industry, delivering essential care to those who need it the most? Do you want to be an instrumental part of the healthcare industry? Medical assisting may be a great fit for you. From checking vital signs and preparing patients for exams to performing lab tests and assisting with surgical procedures, medical assistants are an invaluable part of many physicians’ offices.
A Medical Assisting Diploma from ECPI University’s College of Health Science could prepare you for this field, helping you to develop the knowledge, technical skill, and computer proficiency you’ll need to help others. Best of all, the Medical Assisting Diploma program could be completed in as little as 12 months through our full-time curriculum.
28 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits MED104 Medical Terminology 3 MED112 Medical Coding & Billing I 2 MED143 Principles of Pharmacology 3 MED149 Medical Ethics 3 MED158 Phlebotomy & Laboratory Procedures 2 MED159 Patient Intake & Infection Control 2 MED160 Medical Office Procedures I 2 MED229 Advanced Procedures, Life Support & Specialties 2 MED232 Advanced Diagnostics & Testing 2 MED239 EKG Technician and Cardiology 2 MED286 National Certification Exam Prep 1 MED295 Medical Assisting Externship 4
Arts and Sciences
12 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits BIO101 Human Anatomy & Physiology I 3 BIO104 Human Anatomy & Physiology II 3 ENG110 College Composition 3 PSY105 Introduction to Psychology 3
For allowable substitutions of arts and sciences courses, see the Arts & Sciences Department page.
6 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits COR191 Career Orientation 1 CIS108 Office Applications 2 FOR110 Freshman Orientation 3
*The following courses are available for Medical Assisting students online: CIS108, COR191, ENG110, FOR110, and PSY105. MED courses may be offered via Remote Synchronous Delivery (see Remote Synchronous and Hybrid Delivery of Courses/Programs).
- Program Description
ECPI University’s Medical Careers Institute focuses on a “hands-on” approach, allowing students to gain real-world experience from within the classroom and through externship experience. Through the Medical Assisting Diploma program, students are expected to:
- Conduct patient interviews and take medical histories
- Check vital signs
- Prepare patients for examination
- Assist with surgical procedures
- Collect specimens
- Perform various laboratory tests and EKGs
- Review and process payments
- Prepare billing statements
- Schedule appointments
- Possible Career Track
Upon graduation, Medical Assisting Diploma recipients may be able to pursue entry-level careers including the following:
- Medical Assistant
- EKG Technician
Graduates may work in a variety of settings including clinics, physicians’ offices, and related healthcare settings.
- Demonstrate characteristics of self-direction and accountability with strong educational foundations for lifelong personal and professional growth.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills to effectively address patient care and to adapt to the rapidly changing challenges in healthcare and medical assisting.
- Provide clinically competent, contemporary care that recognizes individual differences and promotes caring behavior in the health care community.
- Function as competent, beginning practitioner in both clinical and administrative procedures for the medical office.
- Be eligible to sit for the Certified Medical Assistant Exam offered through AAMA and/or the RMA exam by AMT.
- Program provides comprehensive preparation of graduates for work in the career field.
- Program Guide
- Download Program Guide (339.74 KB)