Living in the age of data means embracing the interconnectedness that allows us to communicate and collaborate in an infinite number of ways. Data can mean a wealth of information and insight at our fingertips, but it can also be detrimental in the wrong hands. With progressively more information traveling over the wires and with increasing threats internationally with cyber terrorism, the need to defend and protect an organization’s assets is critically important.
Do you want to stop cyber-crime before it starts? If preventing, detecting, and battling digital crime is important to you, a career in cyber security may be the perfect fit and a cyber and network security degree could be a great way to start! As a cybersecurity specialist, you could be on the front lines of cyber warfare and defense, protecting vital computer systems against inside and outside threats alike, including social engineering, hackers, malware, spyware, and viruses.
You could earn a Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer and Information Science with a major in Cyber and Network Security and a track in Cybersecurity in just 2.5 years through ECPI University’s year-round degree program.
Our Cyber and Network Security major and Cybersecurity track could teach you how to:
- Protect data and manage personnel conduct in relation to safeguarding data.
- Perform vulnerability analysis/penetration testing of organizations
- Actively monitor and defend networks
- Create basic security policy and procedures
The demand for trained cybersecurity professionals is on the rise, with the Bureau of Labor Statistics projecting employment of information security analysts to grow by 18 percent by 2024, that is 63.6% more than the average for all occupations (11%).*
Join a high-demand industry where you could make a difference in the lives of so many—contact ECPI University today and learn more about earning your bachelor’s in Computer and Information Science with a major in Cyber and Network Security and a track in Cybersecurity.
The National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security have designated ECPI University as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education (CAE-CDE) for the Bachelor of Science in Computer and Information Science: Cyber and Network Security major, Cybersecurity Track through academic year 2023. Designation Letter can be viewed here.
The Computer and Information Science programs are delivered online or through a campus-based hybrid model.
It’s no secret that Cyber and Network Security is one of today’s hottest careers. Learn more about the opportunities for growth in this field in Atlanta, GA here!
- Program Description
At ECPI University, your classroom experience is reinforced with hands-on instruction, using the same kind of technology found in the workplace. Create and build secure networks in Windows, Cisco, and Linux environments, and design and implement network security plans to keep hackers at bay and networks secure. Specifically, ECPI’s major in Cyber and Network Security with a track in Cybersecurity degree program could teach you how to:
- Maintain security hardware and software
- Evaluate problems and monitor network to ensure its availability to system users
- Identify customer needs and use that information to design, interpret, and assess network and security requirements
- Plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures
- Install security software
- Monitor networks for security breaches
- Perform vulnerability analysis and penetration testing
Further develop knowledge in the following areas:
- Ethical and Professional Practices
- Logic and Decision Processes; Troubleshooting; Problem Resolution
- Risk Management and Disaster Recovery
- Customer Service and System Self-Assessment
- Installation and Configuration of Client and Server Operating Systems, Network Services, and Security Tools
- Protection of Sensitive Information by Preventing, Detecting, and Responding to Cyber Security Attacks
ECPI University’s cyber security curriculum aims to prepare graduates to sit for IT certification exams related to CompTIA, ECCouncil, Cisco Systems, and Microsoft.
- Possible Career Track
- Technical support and help desks
- Network & Security infrastructure support
- Information security analyst
- Network security analyst
- IT supervision/management
- Information technology solutions providers
- Network Security implementation
28 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits BUS121 Introduction to Business 3 BUS472 Applied Project Management 3 BUS472L Applied Project Management Lab 1 CIS228
Service Desk Fundamentals
Introduction to Scripting
3 CIS126 Introduction to Programming 3 CIS142 Introduction to Cloud Solutions 3 CIS150 Introduction to Networking 3 CIS206 Linux Administration 3 CIS212 Principles of Cybersecurity 3 CIS223 Introduction to Databases 3
Arts and Sciences*
31 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits CAP480 Arts and Sciences Capstone 3 COM115 Principles of Communication 3 ENG110 College Composition 3 ENG120 Advanced Composition 3 HUM205 Culture and Diversity 3 MTH131 College Algebra 3 MTH140 Statistics 3 PHY120 Physics** 3 PHY120L Physics Lab** 1 BIO122 Environmental Biology** 3 BIO122L Environmental Biology Lab** 1 PSY105 Introduction to Psychology 3 PSY220 Positive Psychology 3
*For allowable substitutions of arts and sciences courses, see the Arts & Sciences Department section in the ECPI University Course Catalog.
**Student will be scheduled either the Physics & Lab courses or Environmental Biology & Lab courses.
9 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits CIS106 Introduction to Operating Systems 3 CIS115 Computer Applications 3 COR090 Career Orientation Seminar 0 FOR110 Essentials for Success 3
Cyber and Network Security Requirements
37 semester credit hours plus electives
Course ID Course Name Credits CIS202 Introduction to Routing and Switching 3 CIS202L Introduction to Routing and Switching Lab 1 CIS204 Intermediate Routing and Switching 3 CIS207L Routing and Switching LAB 1 CIS225 Network Protocols and Services 3 CIS245 Windows Client and Server 3 CIS245L Windows Client and Server Lab 1 CIS251 Advanced Windows Server 3 CIS256 Windows Active Directory 3 CIS256L Windows Active Directory LAB 1 CIS321 Network Scripting 3 CIS403 Ethical Hacking 3 CIS425 Advanced Defense and Countermeasures 3 CIS495
Cyber and Network Security Capstone
3 EET250 Computer Configuration I 3
15 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits CIS220 Storage Area Networks and Disaster Recovery 3 CIS220L Storage Area Networks and Disaster Recovery Lab 1 CIS410 Security Systems Administration 3 CIS425L Advanced Defense and Countermeasures Lab 1 CIS305 Advanced Linux Administration 3 EET282 Wireless Security 3 CIS491 Externship-CIS Sr. I-a 1
Students in the B.S. in Computer & Information Science program develop planning, design, implementation, and support skills in operating systems, networking, software programs, and security. Students develop additional focused skills based on which major the student pursues. Students also learn principles of excellent customer service in order to assist clients with technical issues.
Upon successful completion of the Bachelor of Science in Computer and Information Science with a major in Cyber and Network Security, graduates are able to:
Computer and Information Science Outcomes:
- Use processes, tools, and technologies to support an organization
- Lead and work as a member of a technical team
- Apply written, oral, and graphical communication in both technical and non-technical environments
- Identify and use appropriate technical literature
- Engage in continuous professional development through user groups, associations, conferences, readings, research, and other channels.
- Develop and use ethical best practices in the maintenance and security of information and systems
- Use cloud computing tools
Cyber and Network Security Major Outcomes:
- Plan, design, configure and administer a network and security infrastructure
- Maintain, monitor, and troubleshoot a network and security infrastructure
- Assess and implement technical and non-technical security controls to protect an organization from threats and vulnerabilities
Important information about the educational debt, earnings, and completion rates of students who attended this program can be found by clicking here.
- Program Guide
- Download Program Guide (2.31 MB)