Cyber and Information Security Technology
Cyber and Information Security Technology Overview
Living in the age of data means embracing the interconnectedness that allows us to communicate and collaborate in an infinite number of ways. Data can mean a wealth of information and insight at our fingertips, but it can also be detrimental in the wrong hands. With progressively more information traveling over the wires and with increasing threats internationally with cyber terrorism, the need to defend and protect an organization’s assets is critically important.
Do you want to stop cyber-crime before it starts? If preventing, detecting, and battling digital crime is important to you, a career in cyber security may be the perfect fit, and a Computer and Information Science degree with a major in Cyber and Information Security Technology could be a great way to start! As a cybersecurity specialist, you could be on the front lines of cyber warfare and defense, protecting vital computer systems against inside and outside threats alike, including social engineering, hackers, malware, spyware, and viruses.
You could earn a Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer and Information Science with a Cyber and Information Security Technology major in as little as 2.5 years through ECPI University’s year-round degree program.
Our Cyber and Information Security Technology degree program could teach you how to:
- Administer, manage, and troubleshoot hardware, software, or services for single, mixed and multi-user environments
- Use cyber security measures to protect data and manage personnel conduct in relation to safeguarding data.
- Learn how to do vulnerability analysis/penetration testing of organizations
- Learn how to actively monitor and defend networks
- Create basic security policy and procedures
Join a high-demand industry where you could make a difference in the lives of so many—contact ECPI University today and learn more about earning your bachelor’s in Computer and Information Systems with a major in Cyber and Information Security Technology.
The National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security have designated ECPI University as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education (CAE-CDE) for the Bachelor of Science in Computer and Information Science: Cyber and Information Security Technology major, Cybersecurity Track through academic year 2023. Designation Letter can be viewed here.
The Computer and Information Science programs are delivered online or through a campus-based hybrid model.
It’s no secret that Cyber and Information Security Technology is one of today’s hottest careers. Learn more about the opportunities for growth in this field in Atlanta, GA here!
28 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits BUS121 Introduction to Business 3 BUS472 Applied Project Management 3 BUS472L Applied Project Management Lab 1 CIS126 Introduction to Programming 3 CIS142 Introduction to Cloud Solutions 3 CIS150 Introduction to Networking 3 CIS206 Linux Administration 3 CIS212 Principles of Cybersecurity 3 CIS223 Introduction to Databases 3 ONE OF THESE TWO COURSES: CIS123 Introduction to Scripting 3 CIS228 Service Desk Fundamentals 3
*For allowable substitutions of arts and sciences courses, see the Arts & Sciences Department section in the ECPI University Course Catalog.
Arts and Sciences*
31 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits CAP480 Arts and Sciences Capstone 3 COM115 Principles of Communication 3 ENG110 College Composition 3 ENG120 Advanced Composition 3 HUM205 Culture and Diversity: Exploring the Humanities 3 MTH131 College Algebra 3 MTH140 Statistics 3 PSY105 Introduction to Psychology 3 PSY220 Positive Psychology 3 ONE LECTURE COURSE AND CORRESPONDING LAB FROM THE FOLLOWING: PHY120 Physics 3 PHY120L Physics Lab 1 BIO122 Environmental Biology 3 BIO122L Environmental Biology Lab 1
9 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits CIS106 Introduction to Operating Systems 3 CIS108 Office Applications 2 COR191 Career Orientation 1 FOR110 Essentials for Success 3
Cyber and Information Security Technology Major Required Courses
37 semester credit hours plus electives
Course ID Course Name Credits CIS101 Computer Configuration I 3 CIS202 Introduction to Routing and Switching 3 CIS202L Introduction to Routing and Switching Lab 1 CIS204 Intermediate Routing and Switching 3 CIS207L Routing and Switching LAB 1 CIS225 Network Protocols and Services 3 CIS245 Windows Client and Server 3 CIS245L Windows Client and Server Lab 1 CIS251 Advanced Windows Server 3 CIS256 Windows Active Directory 3 CIS256L Windows Active Directory LAB 1 CIS321 Network Scripting 3 CIS403 Ethical Hacking 3 CIS425 Advanced Defense and Countermeasures 3 ONE OF THESE TWO COURSES: CIS495 Cyber and Network Security Capstone 3 CIS490 Bachelor's Externship-CIS 3
15 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits CIS123L Introduction to Scripting Lab 1 CIS230 Advanced Cybersecurity 3 CIS242 AWS Academy Cloud Foundations 3 CIS253 Network Virtualization Fundamentals 3 CIS253L Network Virtualization Fundamentals Lab 1 CIS282 Web Interface Design 3 CIS305 Advanced Linux Administration 3 CIS305L Advanced Linux Administration 1 CIS311 Web Site Management and Security 3 CIS311L Web Site Management and Security Lab 1 CIS328 Email Services 3 CIS343 AWS Academy Cloud Architecting 3 CIS230 Advanced Cybersecurity 3 CIS425 Advanced Defense and Countermeasures 3 CIS425L Advanced Defense and Countermeasures Lab 1 CIS490 Bachelor’s Externship-CIS 3 CIS491 Externship-CIS Sr. I-a 1 CIS492 Externship-CIS Sr. I-b 1 CIS493 Externship-CIS Sr. I-c 1 CIS494 Externship-CIS Sr. II 2 EET251 Computer Configuration II 3 EET251L Computer Configuration II Lab 1 EET282 Wireless Security 3
- Program Description
At ECPI University, your classroom experience is reinforced with hands-on instruction, using the same kind of technology found in the workplace. Create and build networks in Windows, CISCO, and UNIX environments, and design and implement network security plans to keep hackers at bay and networks secure. Specifically, ECPI’s Cyber and Information Security Technology degree program could teach you how to:
- Maintain network hardware and software
- Evaluate problems and monitor network to ensure its availability to system users
- Identify customer needs and use that information to design, interpret, and assess network requirements
- Plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures
- Install security software
- Monitor networks for security breaches
Further develop knowledge in the following areas:
- Ethical and Professional Practices
- Logic and Decision Processes; Troubleshooting; Problem Resolution
- Risk Management and Disaster Recovery
- Customer Service and System Self-Assessment
- Installation and Configuration of Client and Server Operating Systems, Network Services, and Security Tools
- Protection of Sensitive Information by Preventing, Detecting, and Responding to Cyber Security Attacks
ECPI’s bachelor of science degree in Computer & Information Science with a major in Cyber and Information Security Technology curriculum aims to prepare graduates to sit for IT certification exams related to CompTIA, Cisco Systems, and Microsoft.
- Possible Career Track
*Network and cyber security management professionals are employed in a wide range of positions including:
- Information security analyst
- Network administration
- Technical support and help desks
- Network infrastructure support areas in routing, server management, and switching
- Network security analyst
- Network applications supervision/management
- Information technology solutions providers
- Network implementation
- Information Security Engineer
*As a condition of employment in any security position, a prospective employee may be required to pass a full background investigation for the purpose of obtaining a security clearance.
Students in the B.S. in Computer & Information Science program develop planning, design, implementation, and support skills in operating systems, networking, software programs, and security. Students develop additional focused skills based on which major the student pursues. Students also learn principles of excellent customer service in order to assist clients with technical issues.
Upon successful completion of the Bachelor of Science in Computer & Information Science, graduates are expected to:
- Design, implement, and evaluate computer-based solutions that incorporate the appropriate computing requirements identified through the analysis of specific organizational or computing problems
- Function effectively on teams to establish goals, plan tasks, meet deadlines, manage risk, and produce deliverables
- Apply written, oral, and graphical communication in both technical and non-technical environments
- Evaluate and use appropriate technical literature
- Engage in continuous professional development through user groups, associations, conferences, readings, research, and other channels
- Develop and apply ethical and legal best practices in the maintenance and security of information and systems
- Develop cloud computing tools
In addition to the B.S. CIS Program Outcomes, students in the Cyber and Information Security Technology Major learn about installing, securing, testing, and maintaining computer networks.
Upon successful completion of the Cyber and Information Security Technology Major - graduates are expected to:
- Plan, design, configure and administer a network and security infrastructure
- Maintain, monitor, and troubleshoot a network and security infrastructure
- Assess and implement technical and non-technical security controls to protect an organization from threats and vulnerabilities
- Program Guide
- Download Program Guide (430.76 KB)