Master of Science in Cybersecurity Online Degree Program Overview
If you work in Cyber and Network Security, you know how important your profession is. CSO reports the average breach costs approximately $3.5 million in 2017, with a 27 percent probability that a U.S. company will experience a breach in the next 24 months.
If you’re a cybersecurity professional and you want to give yourself a competitive edge, consider earning an Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity at ECPI University. Our 100 percent online program allows you to continue working as you prepare to enter management. It’s designed to help you acquire the knowledge and skills needed to manage secure information systems and technology at the enterprise and individual levels, locally and globally.
So, if you’re an IT professional who is ready to up your game, this online program can provide you with a broad perspective of the business and management environments in which information system technologies play a strategic role. And with ECPI University’s year-round schedule, you could earn your 100% Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity in as little as 16 months!
Choose from two Online Cybersecurity concentrations: Cyber Operations OR Cybersecurity Policy.
Learn About and Experience:
- Secure critical infrastructure within enterprise networks, power distribution, transportation, finance, and water treatment facilities
- Enhancing the local, regional, and national security posture of the nation through the technologies, techniques, and labs used in cyber operations
- Real-world case studies and practice with globally accessible hands-on security lab equipment designed to teach and reinforce the configuration of secure infrastructure
- Local, regional, and/or national activities and events designed to promote policy and practice that strengthen the cybersecurity community as a whole
- Through curriculum designed to prepare you for advanced cybersecurity certification examinations such as Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH), Certified Information Systems Security, Professional (CISSP), Systems Administration and Network Security (SANS), and Chief Information Security Officer (CISO)
- Virtualization and storage technologies that provide hands-on experience with cybersecurity tools, techniques, methodologies, and practices
At ECPI University you’ll find faculty and staff who are dedicated to your success. Not only do we want to see you graduate, but our overarching goal is to prepare you for success. Industry driven curriculum taught using a variety of methods, from lecture to hands-on activities, will expose you to the information and skills you will need.
Our accelerated schedule can allow students to graduate with a bachelor’s degree in as little as 2.5 years, with two classes per 5-week term. While you are completing your course work, our Career Services department can help you with resumes, cover letters, and interview preparation. After graduation, our alumni association can keep you connected with peers within your field and across the country.
ECPI University’s degree programs are developed by talking with local employers first, and focusing on industry-driven curriculum, skillsets, and certifications. Twice a year, an advisory board comprising 16 campuses meets to discuss the latest employer needs. We then integrate these into our programs, developing content and activities used in virtual training environments and in practice with hands-on simulators, clinics, and externships.
Most universities and colleges teach students from a book and then leave them to learn skills “on the job.” At ECPI University, we educate our students and train them using hands-on workshops and labs, externships in the field of study, and certification programs. On their first day on the job, ECPI University students already know what is expected of them and are confident in their capabilities because it is work they have done before through our hands-on learning opportunities.
ECPI University offers discount vouchers for many industry-related certifications, so you’ll pay less here than you would anywhere else. These savings can be quite significant and into the thousands of dollars depending on your degree program and specialty. Not only that, but we also make it very easy! We provide students access to the “GetCertified” portal, where students can register for exam, claim and accept exam vouchers, and find preparatory information needed for the certifications.
In the IT field, certifications demonstrate that you have specialized industry knowledge. In some instances, this might be all that is needed to obtain initial employment. Having a degree can signify your commitment to employers and your field.
A degree may get you in the door, but any additional qualifications may help you stand out in a crowd from other candidates with only a degree. Getting certifications in your field can prove to potential employers that you are an expert who is dedicated to your craft. Certifications also keep you updated on the latest techniques and advancements in your field.
Master of Science in Cybersecurity Online Degree
|Course ID||Course Name||Credits|
|MSCS501||MSCS501 Cybersecurity Synopsis||3.00|
|MSCS513||MSCS513 Human and Ethical Aspects of Cybersecurity||3.00|
|MSCS615||MSCS615 Cloud Security||3.00|
|MSCS521||MSCS521 Security Architecture & Design||3.00|
|MSCS624||MSCS624 Network Security and Intrusion Detection||3.00|
|MSCS654||MSCS654 Wireless and Mobile Security||3.00|
|MSCS680||MSCS680 Virtualization Security||3.00|
|Credit Hour(s) total||21.00|
|Course ID||Course Name||Credits|
|MSCS633||MSCS633 Applied Cryptography and Data Protection||3.00|
|MSCS635||MSCS635 Advanced Networking||3.00|
|MSCS637||MSCS637 Hardening Enterprise Cybersecurity Architecture: A Management Approach||3.00|
|MSCS639||MSCS639 Cyber Forensics||3.00|
|MSCS641||MSCS641 Information Systems Risk Management||3.00|
|MSCS643||MSCS643 Cybersecurity Governance and Compliance||3.00|
|MSCS645||MSCS645 Cybersecurity Strategies (Prevention and Protection)||3.00|
|MSCS647||MSCS647 Compliance and Audit||3.00|
Visit the ECPI University Catalog for the most current program information.
This degree program is primarily based on the National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security program requirements for designation as a Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance/Cyber Defense.
The curriculum builds on a foundation of communication and problem solving, theoretical and applied understanding of advanced technical concepts and policies, as well as technical hardware and software components used throughout information systems. Your understanding and practical knowledge of network security will be enhanced with research opportunities providing a particular emphasis on technologies, techniques, and operations related to specialized Cybersecurity (e.g., collection, exploitation, and response). These technologies, techniques, and operations are critical to business, intelligence, government, manufacturing, and law enforcement in order to effectively monitor, defend, and minimize the attack surface of information system networks.
Graduates of an advanced CIS degree program have many career options, often finding career paths that lead them into IT management positions. They may manage complex IT projects, design secure computer systems using the most current information technologies, and develop innovative hardware and software system architectures. They may develop test plans and ensure their correct application. Graduates also may work as network architects or administrators who design secure computer networks, including wireless networks. Graduates of the M.S. in Information Systems degree program will be able to work in a wide variety of positions in business, industry, and government venues.
Possible job titles for an M.S. Cyber Security graduate include:
- Cyber Security Analyst
- Penetration Tester
- Data Center or Network Security Administrator
- Information Systems Security Engineer
- Risk Assessment and Vulnerability Analysis Manager
- Information Security Engineer
With significant, successful work experience in the field, management opportunities could be available to the graduate.
This degree program is based on the National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security program requirements for designation as a Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance/Cyber Defense. The curriculum builds on a foundation of communication and problem solving, theoretical and applied understanding of basic technical concepts, protocols, and software/hardware components of information systems technologies. Students enhance their understanding and practical knowledge of network security and research providing a particular emphasis on technologies and techniques related to specialized Cybersecurity (e.g., collection, exploitation, and response). These technologies and techniques are critical to intelligence, military and law enforcement organizations authorized to perform these specialized operations. A capstone project is required.
Upon successful completion of this degree program, graduates should be able to:
- Summarize cybersecurity fundamentals and how they are interrelated and employed to achieve desired solutions and to effect mitigation strategies.
- Analyze security and operational effects on structured network communications in wired and wireless environments.
- Select and securely implement large-scale distributed cloud systems.
- Evaluate classes of possible threats, consequences associated with each threat, and determine what actions can be taken to mitigate the threat.
- Relate the legal issues governing cyber operations and the use of related tools, techniques, technology and data.
- Evaluate user behavioral and ethical impacts of various securities on the implementation of and perception of security mechanisms.
- Devise a defensive network architecture employing multiple layers of protection using technology appropriate for secure network.
- Analyze security implications of data center virtualization and storage technologies.
- Evaluate various applied cryptography solutions and key management systems.
The Cyber Operations concentration focuses on the analysis, design, deployment, and monitoring of cyber technologies and techniques necessary to maintain the security posture of an organization. Graduates will have the skills to ensure operational continuity of large-scale organizations.
Upon successful completion of this degree program, the graduate should be able to:
- Apply advanced knowledge of cyber operations to manage information assurance and threat mitigation at the enterprise level.
The Cybersecurity Policy concentration prepares graduates for the analysis, development, and enforcement of policies and procedures that contribute to the security of an organization’s system with the focus on people, processes, and technology. The course work focuses on the legal and regulatory factors that must be considered in administering cybersecurity policy.
Upon successful completion of this degree program, graduates should be able to:
- Develop security policies to ensure compliance and manage risk in information security across a wide range of domains.