Physical Therapist Assistant PTA Program Overview
People who work in the physical therapy field enjoy a certain type of gratification. They are often times privileged to help patients recover from serious injuries. Whether it’s back or neck issues, arthritis, neurological conditions, or just simply pains and strains, the rewards of helping someone regain their mobility is great.
At ECPI University’s College of Health Science, Medical Careers Institute (MCI), you could earn an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Physical Therapist Assisting in as little as 1.5 years through MCI’s year-round program.
Commission on Physical Therapy Assistant School
The Physical Therapist Assistant program at ECPI University (Newport News and Richmond/Emerywood, Virginia campuses) is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 3030 Potomac Ave., Suite 100, Alexandria, Virginia 22305-3085; telephone: 703-706-3245; email: firstname.lastname@example.org; website: http://www.capteonline.org. If needing to contact the program/institution directly, please call 757.490.9090 or email PTADirector@ecpi.edu.
Complaints Falling Outside of ECPI University Due Process
Click here for more information
Physical Therapist Assistant Possible Career Track
Upon completion, graduates with an Associate of Science Degree in Health Science with a concentration in Physical Therapist Assisting could possibly pursue a career in a wide array of settings including:
- Outpatient clinics
- Skilled nursing
- Extended care facilities
- Sports training facilities
- Occupational environments
- Fitness centers
The Physical Therapist Assistant Program at ECPI University, School of Health Science, Medical Careers Institute – Newport News, VA Campus and Richmond, VA Campus (Emerywood/West End Location) is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) of the American Physical Therapy Association.
The Richmond, VA program is an expansion of the accredited parent PTA program at ECPI University, School of Health Science, Medical Careers Institute – Newport News, VA.
Physical Therapist Assistant Outcomes
Student/Graduate Level Goals:
- The PTA program is designed to help prepare graduates for entry-level practice as physical therapist assistants who will work under the direction and supervision of a physical therapist in an ethical, legal, safe, and effective manner.
- The PTA program is designed to help prepare graduates to demonstrate entry-level critical thinking skills to effectively address patient care situations and to adapt to the rapidly changing challenges in healthcare and physical therapist assistant responsibilities.
Program Level Goals:
- The PTA program is designed to help educate the students in cultural diversity, effective communication and professional behaviors.
- The PTA education program is designed to help facilitate participation in community service and lifelong learning activities.
- The PTA Program is designed to help provide a contemporary, comprehensive and evidence-based curriculum appropriate for an entry level physical therapist assistant.
Program Faculty Level Goals:
- The PTA faculty is designed to engage in on-going professional development related to enhancing knowledge of contemporary physical therapy practice, pedagogy, and service.
Newport News Campus:
- Graduation rate for 2020 – 2021 is 88%.
- National Physical Therapy Exam for Physical Therapist Assistants first time pass rate 2020 – 2021 is: 77%.
- National Physical Therapy Exam for Physical Therapist Assistants ultimate pass rate 2020 – 2021 is: 92%.
- PTA graduates who sought employment that were employed within 12 months of graduation for 2020 – 2021 is 92%.
- Graduation rate for 2020 – 2021 is 96%.
- National Physical Therapy Exam for Physical Therapist Assistants first time pass rate 2020 – 2021 is: 81%.
- National Physical Therapy Exam for Physical Therapist Assistants ultimate pass rate 2020 – 2021 is: 96%.
- PTA graduates who sought employment that were employed within 12 months of graduation for 2020 – 2021 is 96%.
The Physical Therapist Assistant Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), which requires the calculation of employment rates. These annual rates, as reported in the program’s Annual Accreditation Report (AAR), are calculated as the percentage of graduates who sought employment that were employed as a Physical Therapist Assistant within one year following graduation. This accreditor has established the employment rate threshold as the employment rate averaged over the most recent two years that is consistent with national trends as determined by annual reporting mechanisms. Therefore, this rate represents the program’s employment rate averaged over the most recent two years (graduating cohorts 2020 – 2021).
Physical Therapist Assistant Curriculum
|Course ID||Course Name||Credits|
|PTA101||PTA101 Professional Issues for the Physical Therapist Assistant||2.00|
|PTA108||PTA108 Pathology for the Physical Therapist Assistant||2.00|
|PTA111||PTA111 Introduction to Physical Therapy||2.00|
|PTA120||PTA120 Kinesiology for the Physical Therapist Assistant||3.00|
|PTA135||PTA135 Rehabilitation I Assessment||2.00|
|PTA136||PTA136 Rehabilitation II Therapeutic Modalities||3.00|
|PTA139||PTA139 Rehabilitation III Therapeutic Exercise||3.00|
|PTA145||PTA145 Medical & Surgical Conditions I||2.00|
|PTA146||PTA146 Medical & Surgical Conditions II||2.00|
|PTA206||PTA206 Neurological Rehabilitation||3.00|
|PTA208||PTA208 Rehabilitation IV Devices||2.00|
|PTA210||PTA210 Motor Development & Aging||2.00|
|PTA255||PTA255 Clinical Education Experience I||4.00|
|PTA256||PTA256 Clinical Education Experience II||4.00|
|PTA257||PTA257 Clinical Education Experience III||4.00|
|PTA258||PTA258 Clinical Education Experience IV||4.00|
|PTA275||PTA275 Physical Therapist Assistant Preparatory||3.00|
|Credit Hour(s) total||50.00|
|Course ID||Course Name||Credits|
|BIO111||BIO111 Anatomy & Physiology I w/Terminology||3.00|
|BIO111L||BIO111L Anatomy & Physiology I with Terminology LAB||1.00|
|BIO116||BIO116 Anatomy & Physiology II with Terminology||3.00|
|BIO116L||BIO116L Anatomy & Physiology II with Terminology LAB||1.00|
|ENG110||ENG110 College Composition||3.00|
|HUM205||HUM205 Culture and Diversity: Exploring the Humanities||3.00|
|MTH131||MTH131 College Algebra||3.00|
|PSY105||PSY105 Introduction to Psychology||3.00|
|Credit Hour(s) total||20.00|
This program consists of 1,725 contact hours.
Visit the ECPI University Catalog for the most current program information.
*For allowable substitutions of arts and sciences courses, see the Arts & Sciences Department page.