Physical Therapist Assistant
Physical Therapist Assistant Overview
People who work in the physical therapy field enjoy a certain type of gratification. They are often times privileged to help patients recover from serious injuries. Whether it’s back or neck issues, arthritis, neurological conditions, or just simply pains and strains, the rewards of helping someone regain their mobility is great.
At ECPI University’s College of Health Science, Medical Careers Institute (MCI), you could earn an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Physical Therapist Assisting in as little as 1.5 years through MCI’s year-round program.
Commission on Physical Therapy Education
The Physical Therapist Assistant program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) at the following ECPI campuses: Newport News and Richmond/ Emerywood, Virginia. This is a programmatic accreditation by CAPTE, a specialized accreditation agency for qualified entry-level education programs for physical therapists and physical therapist assistants. For more information, visit www.capteonline.org.
- 3030 Potomac Ave., Suite 100, Alexandria, VA, 22305-3085
- Phone: 703-706-3245
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Admissions and Outcomes Information
If needing to contact the program/institution directly, please call 757.490.9090 or email PTADirector@ecpi.edu.
50 Semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits PTA101 Professional Issues for the Physical Therapist Assistant 2 PTA105 Musculoskeletal 3 PTA108 Pathology for the Physical Therapist Assistant 2 PTA111 Introduction to Physical Therapy 2 PTA120 Kinesiology for the Physical Therapist Assistant 3 PTA135 Rehabilitation I Assessment 2 PTA136 Rehabilitation II Therapeutic Modalities 3 PTA139 Rehabilitation III Therapeutic Exercise 3 PTA145 Medical & Surgical Conditions I 2 PTA146 Medical & Surgical Conditions II 2 PTA206 Neurological Rehabilitation 3 PTA208 Rehabilitation IV Devices 2 PTA210 Motor Development & Aging 2 PTA255 Clinical Education Experience I 4 PTA256 Clinical Education Experience II 4 PTA257 Clinical Education Experience III 4 PTA258 Clinical Education Experience IV 4 PTA275 Physical Therapist Assistant Preparatory 3
Arts and Sciences
20 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits BIO111 Anatomy & Physiology I w/Terminology 3 BIO111L Anatomy & Physiology I with Terminology LAB 1 BIO116 Anatomy & Physiology II with Terminology 3 BIO116L Anatomy & Physiology II with Terminology LAB 1 ENG110 College Composition 3 HUM205 Culture and Diversity 3 MTH131 College Algebra 3 PSY105 Introduction to Psychology 3
Self-Integration and Computer Literacy
3 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits CIS108 Office Applications 2 COR191 Career Orientation 1
This program consists of 1,800 contact hours.
- Program Description
Medical Careers Institute’s physical therapist assistant program is designed to provide graduates with the knowledge required to work under the supervision of a Physical Therapist in the rehabilitation process. Curriculum focuses on a variety of areas including:
- Human anatomy
- Aging of muscles and bones as it relates to exercise and its impact on mobility, strength and coordination
Students also gain hands-on experience in the use of physical modalities such as heat, ice, ultrasound, traction, massage, and electrical stimulation to help decrease pain, increase motion, and improve function.
- Possible Career Track
Upon completion, graduates with an Associate of Science Degree in Health Science with a concentration in Physical Therapist Assisting could possibly pursue a career in a wide array of settings including:
- Outpatient clinics
- Skilled nursing
- Extended care facilities
- Sports training facilities
- Occupational environments
- Fitness centers
The Physical Therapist Assistant Program at ECPI University, School of Health Science, Medical Careers Institute – Newport News, VA Campus and Richmond, VA Campus (Emerywood/West End Location) is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) of the American Physical Therapy Association.
The Richmond, VA program is an expansion of the accredited parent PTA program at ECPI University, School of Health Science, Medical Careers Institute – Newport News, VA.
Student/Graduate Level Goals:
- The PTA program is designed to help prepare graduates for entry-level practice as physical therapist assistants who will work under the direction and supervision of a physical therapist in an ethical, legal, safe, and effective manner.
- The PTA program is designed to help prepare graduates to demonstrate entry-level critical thinking skills to effectively address patient care situations and to adapt to the rapidly changing challenges in healthcare and physical therapist assistant responsibilities.
Program Level Goals:
- The PTA program is designed to help educate the students in cultural diversity, effective communication and professional behaviors.
- The PTA education program is designed to help facilitate participation in community service and lifelong learning activities.
- The PTA Program is designed to help provide a contemporary, comprehensive and evidence-based curriculum appropriate for an entry level physical therapist assistant.
Program Faculty Level Goals:
- The PTA faculty is designed to engage in on-going professional development related to enhancing knowledge of contemporary physical therapy practice, pedagogy, and service.
Newport News Campus: Graduation rate for 2018 – 2019 is 85%. National Physical Therapy Exam for Physical Therapist Assistants pass rate 2018 – 2019 is: 87%. PTA graduates who sought employment that were employed within 12 months of graduation for 2018 – 2019 is 97%.
Richmond West Campus: Graduation rate for 2018 – 2019 is 85%. National Physical Therapy Exam for Physical Therapist Assistants pass rate for 2018 – 2019 is: 94%. PTA graduates who sought employment that were employed within 12 months of graduation for 2018 – 2019 is 93%.
The Physical Therapist Assistant Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), which requires the calculation of employment rates. These annual rates, as reported in the program’s Annual Accreditation Report (AAR), are calculated as the percentage of graduates who sought employment that were employed as a Physical Therapist Assistant within one year following graduation. This accreditor has established the employment rate threshold as the employment rate averaged over the most recent two years that is consistent with national trends as determined by annual reporting mechanisms. Therefore, this rate represents the program’s employment rate averaged over the most recent two years (graduating cohorts 2018 – 2019.
- Program Guide
- Download Program Guide (439.83 KB)