If you have a knack for numbers and want to be at the center of business operations, then you may want to consider a career in accounting. Accountants are vital to a company’s success, tracking income and assets, preparing financial statements, and evaluating returns on investments.
In fact, no organization, be it public, private or government, can exist without accounting support. If this sounds like the career for you, consider ECPI University’s year-round program. In just 2.5 years, you can earn a Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting.
What’s more, the U.S. Department of Labor projects that demand for thorough financial documentation is expected to increase in response to recent financial crises and subsequent financial regulations.*
* Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-13 Edition
- Program Description
Our curriculum is grounded in fundamentals of accountancy, with classes focusing on both theory and application. Coursework covers a variety of core subjects including:
- Standard practices of the accounting profession
- The role of technology in the accounting profession
- Preparation of Financial statements: GAAP and IFRS accounting methodologies
- Integration of accounting systems and financial reporting
- Preparation of personal, corporate, and not-for-profit tax returns
- Governmental accounting
- Fraud detections and deterrence and accounting computer forensics
- Detailed implementation of ethical standards as required by accounting and business management professionals
- Application of accounting and management theory and practice in decision making, business strategy, and technical solutions relating to management
- Critical thinking and financial analysis of business factors including accounting, operations management, technology, and globalization
- An understanding of global and technological accounting and business processes and management leadership
However, for knowledge to be truly useful, it must be applied. That’s why ECPI University requires students to complete two externships during their course of study, which allows them to gain real-world experience.
- Possible Career Track
Upon completion, graduates with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting could possibly pursue a career in the following industries and economic sectors including:
- Staff accountant
- Tax accountant
- Budget analyst
- Forensic accountant
37 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits ACC160 Principles of Accounting I 3 ACC161 Principles of Accounting II 3 BUS121 Introduction to Business 3 BUS222 Ethics in Business 3 BUS298 Externship-BUS III 3 BUS314 Marketing Management 3 BUS321 Business Organizational Management 3 BUS331 Management Information Systems 3 BUS350 Financial Management 3 BUS480 Strategic Planning & Implementation 3 BUS480L Strategic Planning & Implementation LAB 1 ECO201 Macroeconomics 3 ECO202 Microeconomics 3
Hospitality Management concentration only: FSM 298 Food Service Management Externship I replaces BUS 298 in Core curriculum.
Arts and Sciences
31 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits CAP480 Arts and Sciences Capstone 3 COM115 Principles of Communication 3 ENG110 College Composition 3 ENG120 Advanced Composition 3 HUM205 Culture and Diversity 3 MTH131 College Algebra 3 MTH140 Statistics 3 PHY120 Physics 3 PHY120L Physics LAB 1 PSY105 Introduction to Psychology 3 PSY220 Positive Psychology 3
9 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits CIS106 Introduction to Operating Systems 3 COR090 Career Orientation Seminar 0 FOR110 Essentials for Success 3 CIS115 Computer Applications 3
27 semester credit hours plus electives
Course ID Course Name Credits ACC206 Personal Income Tax I 3 ACC319 Intermediate Accounting I 3 ACC321 Intermediate Accounting II 3 ACC322 Intermediate Accounting III 3 ACC330 Cost Accounting 3 ACC470 Auditing I 3 ACC471 Auditing II 3 ACC480 Advanced Accounting I 3 ACC481 Advanced Accounting II 3 Various Electives 17
Course ID Course Name Credits ACC309 Managerial Accounting for Managers 3 ACC311 Personal Income Tax II 3 ACC340 Governmental and Not-for-Profit Accounting 3 ACC409 Business Taxation 3 ACC450 Fraud Detection and Deterrence Methodology 3 ACC460 Accounting Information Systems 3 BUS211 Introduction to Human Resources Management 3 BUS225 Legal Environment of Business 3 BUS227 Operations Management 3 BUS303 Organizational Leadership and Management 3 BUS328 Business Process Improvement 3 BUS328L Business Process Improvement LAB 1 BUS345 e-Commerce & Technology 3 BUS431 Organizational Development 3 BUS436 International Business 3 BUS440 Global Marketing 3 BUS496 Externship-BUS Sr. I-a 1 BUS497 Externship-BUS Sr. I-b 1 BUS498 Externship-BUS Sr. I-c 1 BUS499 Externship-BUS Sr. III 3
Upon completion of the program, graduates are able to:
- Conduct business research and analyses.
- Analyze business, economic, and financial reports.
- Apply effective critical thinking, problem solving, and decision-making skills to business challenges.
- Demonstrate the ability to create effective plans that maximize business results.
- Demonstrate effective professional business communication.
- Apply ethical behavior, professional standards, and social responsibility in the practice of business.
In today's marketplace, business, and industry, government, and not-for-profit organizations need high-quality and near to "real time" financial information to compete in local, national, and global markets.
The accountant is a key person who can provide management with this critical information. No organization can function effectively without accounting. Our Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting that you can earn in 2.5 years provides students with an in-depth understanding of accounting principles. Accounting graduates are prepared to pursue careers in public accounting, business, or government.
Important information about the educational debt, earnings, and completion rates of students who attended this program can be found by clicking here.
- Program Guide
- Download Program Guide (595.78 KB)