Cyber and Network Security AS
Cyber and Network Security Overview
Living in the age of data means embracing the interconnectedness that allows us to communicate and collaborate in an infinite number of ways Data can mean a wealth of information and insight at our fingertips, but it can also be detrimental in the wrong hands. With progressively more information traveling over the wires and with increasing threats internationally with cyber terrorism, the need to be able to defend and protect an organization’s assets is critically important.
Do you want to stop cyber-crime before it starts? If preventing, detecting, and battling digital crime is important to you, a career in cyber security may be the perfect fit and an associate’s degree in Computer and Information Science with a concentration in Cyber and Network Security could be a great way to start! As a cybersecurity specialist, you could be on the front lines of cyber warfare and defense, protecting vital computer systems against inside and outside threats alike, including social engineering, hackers, malware, spyware, and viruses.
You could earn an Associate of Science Degree in Computer and Information Science with a Cyber and Network Security concentration in just 1.5 years through ECPI University’s year-round degree program.
Our cyber and network security concentration could teach you how to:
- Troubleshoot & maintain hardware, software, or services for single, mixed and multi-user environments
- Use cyber security measures to protect data and manage personnel conduct in relation to safeguarding data.
- Learn how to actively monitor and defend networks
The demand for trained cybersecurity professionals is on the rise, with the Bureau of Labor Statistics projecting employment of information security analysts to grow by 18 percent by 2024, that is 63.6% more than the average for all occupations (11%).*
Join a high-demand industry where you could make a difference in the lives of so many—contact ECPI University today and learn more about earning your associate’s in Computer and Information Science with a concentration in Cyber and Network Security.
*U.S. Dept. of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-2011 Edition, Information Security Analysts
- Program Description
At ECPI University, your classroom experience is reinforced with hands-on instruction, using the same kind of technology found in the workplace. Build secure networks in Windows, Cisco, and Linux environments, and implement network security plans to keep hackers at bay and networks secure. Specifically, ECPI’s cyber and network security degree program could teach you how to:
- Create and manage user/group accounts and configure network routers
- Assist in development and implementation of policies for disaster recovery and network security design
- Assist customers in day-to-day network operations and troubleshooting
- Administer, monitor, and manage networks
- Participate in software installations, network upgrades, and end-user training
- Maintain network & security hardware and software
ECPI’s associate’s degree in Computer & Information Science with a concentration in Cyber and Network Security curriculum aims to prepare graduates to sit for IT certification exams related to CompTIA, Cisco Systems, and Microsoft.
- Possible Career Track
- Technical support and help desks
- Network & Security infrastructure support
- Network administrator
- Network Security implementation
21 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits BUS121
Introduction to Business
Fundamentals of Customer Service
Introduction to Scripting
3 CIS121 Logic and Design 3 CIS142 Introduction to Cloud Solutions 3 CIS150 Introduction to Networking 3 CIS206 Linux Administration 3 CIS212 Principles of Cybersecurity 3
* CIS290 should be chosen if student is looking to get a job and not moving onto the BS degree for a while. CIS290 will not transfer to the BS program.
Arts and Sciences*
15 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits COM115 Principles of Communication 3 ENG110 College Composition 3 HUM205 Culture and Diversity 3 MTH131 College Algebra 3 PSY105 Introduction to Psychology 3
*For allowable substitutions of arts and sciences courses, see the Arts & Sciences Department section in the ECPI University Course Catalog.
9 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits CIS106 Introduction to Operating Systems 3 CIS115 Computer Applications 3 COR090 Career Orientation Seminar 0 FOR110 Essentials for Success 3
25 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits CIS202 Introduction to Routing and Switching 3 CIS202L Introduction to Routing and Switching Lab 1 CIS204 Intermediate Routing and Switching 3 CIS207 Routing and Switching LAB 1 CIS225 Network Protocols and Services 3 CIS245 Windows Client and Server 3 CIS245L Windows Client and Server Lab 1 CIS251 Advanced Windows Server 3 CIS256 Windows Active Directory 3 CIS256L Windows Active Directory LAB 1 EET250 Computer Configuration I 3
In addition to the A.S. CIS Program Outcomes, students in the Cyber and Network Security Concentration learn about installing, securing, testing, and maintaining computer networks.
Upon successful completion of the Cyber and Network Security concentration, graduates are able to:
- Configure and administer a network and security infrastructure
- Maintain, monitor, and troubleshoot a network and security infrastructure
- Implement technical and/or non-technical security controls to protect an organization from threats and vulnerabilities
Important information about the educational debt, earnings, and completion rates of students who attended this program can be found by clicking here.