Students FIRST – ECPI University’s Quality Enhancement Plan
Students FIRST is ECPI University’s Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP), designed to strengthen information literacy skills and facilitate each student’s understanding of the body of knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to prepare for a chosen profession.
What is a Quality Enhancement Plan?
A Quality Enhancement Plan, or QEP, is an initiative designed to improve ECPI University’s learning environment, strengthen student learning outcomes, and support ECPI University’s mission. The entire ECPI University community, including students, alumni, faculty, and staff, assisted in the selection of the QEP: “Students Find Information and Resources to Succeed Today” (Students FIRST). Students FIRST is an ongoing integral focus of the university.
What is Information Literacy?
Information Literacy is the ability to locate, understand, assess, and use information in order to solve a problem or to learn more about a topic. ECPI University students learn to obtain and use information efficiently to solve real world problems in their fields of study as they prepare for a profession. With a deeper understanding of their future profession, better connections are made between what happens in the classroom and what happens in a work environment.
Benefits for Student & Alumni
- Prepare effectively for life after graduation
- Get involved in a future profession through: student organizations, professional organizations, community service, professional literature, and certifications
- Receive assistance with job searches, resume writing, and interviewing skills
Benefits for Faculty & Staff
- Guide students as they explore information about their professions
- Engage with the professional community
- Access additional information literacy resources at ECPI University
- USE information literacy skills effectively to access, via traditional access methods or mobile technologies, the bodies of knowledge appropriate to their fields of study.
- INTEGRATE knowledge, skills, and abilities to develop a level of understanding of their future professions that is sufficient preparation for entry-level employment in their fields of study.
- APPLY the knowledge, skills, and abilities to accomplish specific professional purposes that are appropriate at the collegiate level.
- DOCUMENT attainment of information literacy skills and understanding of the professions they are entering.
There are many ways to learn about resources at ECPI University. Here are just a few:
- Subscribe to our blog
- Visit our Career Services webpage and learn more about available resources
- View the quarterly eConnect newsletter
- Explore the Online Library
Most importantly, remember that librarians can be a student’s best resource. They’re always there to help, both in person and online.