Massage Therapy Overview
Massage therapists relieve pain, reduce stress, and just plain make people feel better. As a professional massage therapist you learn to manipulate the muscles and soft tissues of clients to produce relaxation, improved health and other benefits. With more than 80 types of treatments, massage therapists can specialize in deep-tissue, acupressure, reflexology, sports massage, and other areas. Often, massage therapists become experts in several modalities, all of which require specific skills and techniques.
As more people learn about the benefits of massage therapy, opportunities for skilled massage therapists are expected to increase through the year 2020. Those seeking the services of a massage therapist include spa clientele, athletes, the aging population, and a wide range of individuals seeking relaxation and rejuvenation from the stresses of everyday life.
The length and type of massage provided typically depends on the client's condition and desires. Massage therapists either work for an employer in a variety of environments including spas and hospitals or are self-employed with their own small business. Regardless of the working arrangement, massage therapists should employ effective techniques based on sound principals, the value of safe practices and professional integrity.
15.5 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits MED100 Medical Terminology 1.5 MTP113 Swedish Massage 1.5 MTP117 Introduction to Massage Therapy 1.5 MTP118 Medical Massage 1.5 MTP119 Special Populations 1 MTP120 Fundamentals of Kinesiology 1 MTP121 Musculoskeletal Anatomy I 1.5 MTP122 Musculoskeletal Anatomy II 1.5 MTP209 Pathophysiology 1.5 MTP210 Massage Therapy Clinical 1 MTP211 Professional Ethics & Business Practice 1 MTP212 Massage Therapy Externship 1 MTP214 National Certification Exam Prep 0
Arts and Sciences
3 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits BIO106 Human Anatomy & Physiology I 1.5 BIO108 Human Anatomy & Physiology II 1.5
Self-Integration and Computer Literacy
2.5 semester credit hours
Course ID Course Name Credits COR191 Career Orientation 1 FOR109 Freshman Orientation 1.5
There are 645 total contact hours in this program
- Program Description
This program is designed to prepare students for an entry-level position in the field of therapeutic massage as a Licensed Massage Therapist (LMT). The Massage Therapy program teaches the art and science of massage therapy focusing on the medical and rehabilitative effects of massage while using sound business practices. An externship course is included where students may work in conjunction or collaboratively with physicians, nurses, chiropractors, medical spas, and physical and occupational therapists to help treat and rehabilitate patients with specific health conditions. Upon program completion, graduates are eligible to sit for the Massage and Bodywork Licensure Examination (MBLEx) offered through Federation of State Therapeutic Massage and Bodyworkers (FSTMB).
- Possible Career Track
Upon completion of the Massage Therapy Program, Licensed Massage Therapists could possibly pursue entry-level employment opportunities in a variety of settings including:
- Fitness Institutions
- Wellness Centers
- Private Practice
- Professional Sports Teams
- Graduates will be able to safely assist with the treatment and care of patients while practicing standard precautions and adhering to HIPAA and OSHA guidelines.
- Graduates will be able to identify all major muscles of the body (actions, attachments, and palpation), systems within the body, and the medical terminology associated with massage therapy.
- Graduates will be able to assist with functional restoration through one or more soft tissue manipulation techniques to increase range of motion, flexibility, and stability, provide pain relief, relaxation, or stress reduction.
- Graduates will be able to demonstrate good oral and written communication skills and essential job search skills.
- Program provides comprehensive preparation of graduates to be successful on the Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx) offered through The Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) and meet requirements within the state.
- Program Guide
- Download Program Guide (734.25 KB)