Becoming a Nurse Practitioner Later in Life: Are You Ready to Earn an MSN?
One of the highest honors in life is making a difference in the lives of your patients. Nurses experience that honor every day. Whether you are young or older, it is never too soon or too late to experience this.
When considering a move toward obtaining your master’s in nursing, it is important to know what is expected of you. It is important to know about the various programs that are out there, and which one would suit you and your lifestyle best.
Is Online Right For You?
You need to ask yourself whether you can learn in a traditional school setting, or if you would do better with online courses.
Before you enroll in any courses, it is important to know what a master’s in nursing entails and the qualifications needed in order to become a nurse practitioner.
Those who successfully compete a master's-level nursing program earn a Master of Science in Nursing degree, or MSN. An individual who earns their MSN will be qualified to provide a higher level of care to patients.
What Will You Learn as an MSN?
In the MSN programs, students learn about nursing law and ethics. Additionally, students are generally taught about healthcare business practices and human resources.
Becoming a nurse practitioner requires you to possess a great deal of important qualifications. Some of these qualifications include:
- A nurse practitioner must be able to cope with stressful situations
- A nurse practitioner must be able to navigate emergencies while remaining calm.
- Nurse practitioners must have superior communication skills
- A nurse practitioner needs to have strong leadership skills
- The most important qualification in a successful nurse practitioner is compassion
Additionally, nurse practitioners are required to have, at least, a master's degree. Some states require different licensure to practice. Make sure you know the requirements in the state you plan to practice in.
Am I Ready to Become a Nurse Practitioner?
The career of a nurse practitioner is always changing. It is the excitement of the position that pulls people in. You may be wondering if you are ready to move on and pursue the rewarding career of a nurse practitioner.
Here are some signs that you may be ready to pursue the career of a nurse practitioner:
- You are no longer feeling challenged in your current position. One of the important components in a rewarding career is feeling constantly challenged. It keeps your career interesting and makes you happy to go back to work each day. If you are no longer feeling challenged in your career, it may be time to consider enrolling in an MSN program.
- You are looking to make more money. Staying in the same career may mean a lack in monetary advancement. By enrolling in an MSN program, and obtaining a nurse practitioner position, you can expect to have an increase in income.
- You are desperate to try a new career. The field of healthcare is constantly changing. New technology, and other advancements in care, have helped to bring healthcare to its status. The higher up you go in the healthcare industry, the more you are able to learn and utilize. Those who work in the healthcare industry are constantly using their skills, no matter what their position is. If you are looking to try something new, you may want to bring your career to new heights and pursue your MSN.
If you have answered 'yes' to the above signs, you may want to look into enrolling in an MSN program. Becoming a nurse practitioner may be your calling.
How Can an Online Program Fit Into My Lifestyle?
If you have decided to pursue an MSN in order to become a nurse practitioner, you may now be wondering how an online program may work for you. The online program could be helpful for working adults, given that you can study on your own time. You can study before and after you get home from work.
Also, online learning can be done anywhere. There is no traveling to and from a campus. If you are on your break at work, you can pick up your electronic devices and study. Your materials are always at your fingertips.
I'm Ready to Become a Nurse Practitioner! Where Do I Begin?
If you want to become a family nurse practitioner and are ready to take the next step on your journey to earn a Master of Science in Nursing Degree, ECPI University could help. For more information about our online and accelerated program, connect with a friendly admissions advisor today.
It could be the Best Decision You Ever Make!
DISCLAIMER – ECPI University makes no claim, warranty, or guarantee as to actual employability or earning potential to current, past or future students or graduates of any educational program we offer. The ECPI University website is published for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of information contained on the ECPI.edu domain; however, no warranty of accuracy is made. No contractual rights, either expressed or implied, are created by its content.