Taking Tests for Online Classes: How to Be Successful
There are many benefits to pursuing a degree online. For many students, the ability to take classes around their schedule and to be able to do so from the comfort of their own home actually makes it much easier to study, especially if they have other responsibilities in their lives, such as a full-time job or a family to take care of. However, one thing that can take some getting used to is taking your tests online.
Taking Online Tests: Some Tips to Get you Started
Taking tests online can be a lot different than taking them in a classroom. A lot of students don't know what to expect, which means that they may not know how to properly prepare for an online test. The following are a few tips that will help you prepare for your online tests in order to put you in the best position to succeed:
- Read the guidelines: Different online tests have different guidelines, so be sure to read over them. For example, you may only have a certain amount of time to take the test, such as an hour. You may have to take the test at a specific time on a specific date. The last thing you'll want to do is skip over the guidelines only to find that you missed the date of the exam because you thought you could take it whenever you wanted to, or that you run out of time without realizing there was a time limit while taking the test.
- Know what the format is: Knowing what the format of the test is will help you to better prepare for it mentally as well as help dictate how exactly you'll study for it. For example, the exam could be multiple choice, short answer, fill-in, essay or a combination.
- Study the material: Once you know the guidelines and the format, you'll need to study in the same way you would study for an in-classroom test. Keep in mind that most online tests are closed book, which means that they use an honor code to guard against potential cheating.
- Take practice tests if available: One of the best ways to prepare for an online test is by taking practice tests. Many instructors will provide online practice tests that you can take to familiarize yourself with the format and the with the feel of taking a test online.
- Prepare your computer: There's nothing quite as frustrating as dealing with a computer that's slowing down or having issues while trying to take an exam. Make sure that you have the right software installed if it's required for the exam and be sure to download all of your computer's updates. If you're using a laptop, make sure it's powered all the way up and that you have a power cord with you, just in case.
- Schedule time for the test: If the test isn't at a specific time, then you'll have a deadline by which you'll need to have it done. Figure out if there's a time limit and then set aside time in your schedule for you to take the test. Whatever you do, don't wait until the last minute -- even if you think this gives you extra time to study.
- Prepare your testing environment: Set up an environment where you won't be interrupted. You'll want to take the test somewhere quiet where you can concentrate. Don't forget to turn your phone on silent as well to avoid any distractions.
- Make sure you have all the materials you need: Gather all materials that you might need before the test, including things like a glass of water to keep yourself hydrated while testing.
- Set an alarm: If you have a time limit, then set a couple of alarms, one that notifies you you're halfway through your time limit and one or two that provide ten- or five-minute warnings.
- Save your answers: Save answers, especially if they're essay questions, regularly. You may want to type them up in a word document before copying and pasting them to the exam as well. This way if the webpage crashes you don't lose all your work.
- Never leave the test page before you're finished: Leaving the test page can cancel the exam.
- Inform your instructor of any issues: If you run into any technical issues or have trouble submitting your exam, contact your instructor right away.
While the act of taking a test online is similar to taking a test in a classroom (especially when it comes to studying the subject matter), there are some differences. These are some of the tips that will help you understand what's involved when it comes to taking online tests and how to properly prepare for them.
For information about our online programs or advice on how to enroll in our programs, be sure to contact us at ECPI University today. ECPI University offers completely online degrees in multiple fields, all at the same accelerated pace. This could help you go from classroom to workplace that much faster.
It could be the Best Decision You Ever Make!
DISCLAIMER – ECPI University makes no claim, warranty, or guarantee as to actual employability or earning potential to current, past or future students or graduates of any educational program we offer. The ECPI University website is published for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of information contained on the ECPI.edu domain; however, no warranty of accuracy is made. No contractual rights, either expressed or implied, are created by its content.